Tuesday, May 26, 2009

25th Anniversary

On May 26th, 1984 I was ordained a priest in Lewiston, Maine by Bishop Amedee Proulx.  It's been 25 years and what a time it has been.  My first assignment was at CREC-AVEX in Lyons, FRANCE where I learned a lot about media and even more about fine dining. Had the opportunity there to polish up my French.  I returned to the states and worked at Ste Jeanne d'Arc Parish in Lowell, MA.  Was asked to be pastor of two small parishes in Maine: Castine and Stonington.  I was there only 18 months but the experience left me humbled and proud.  I received permission to become a Navy chaplain and went to Newport, RI for Officers' Training in the fall of  '89.  
I spent seven years in the military: Okinawa, Japan with Marines-- Mayport, FL with the Navy-- Kodiak, AK with the Coast Guard -- and, finally, El Toro MCAS (California) with Marines.  It was while I was stationed in Mayport as a DESRON Chaplain that I was sent TAD to Guantanimo Bay, CUBA to work with the Haitian boat people being held there.  That experience helped me focus on what I needed to do in my priesthood.  After several years of reflection and prayer I resigned my commission in the Navy and came here.
These last eleven years have been the most difficult of my life and, simultaneously, the most rewarding.  We have created a unique ministry that has reached out and is reaching out to thousands of God's poorest children. Our ability to respond to the children's needs is nothing short of a miracle.  
I am most grateful for your support that allows us to do so much here.  I treasure my staff that is totally committed to the children's care.  And my heart belongs to the children.  May God, our Father, bless us all as we discern His will for us.

Father Marc

7 comments:

  1. Those of us that are able to support you in what you do should be the ones saying thank you.

    Congratulations on the past 25 years and good luck on the next 25.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes! St. Therese's prayer seems to have already been answered:

    "May today there be peace within. May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith. May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fr. Marc, may God continue to lead you in your ministry in Haiti. My three visits to Espwa have been highlights for me, and I yearn to return. Our church sends its love to, the staff and especially to the children and villagers you serve. You are truly ordained of God for this very special ministry. And a belated happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please know that you are helping those of us who visit your website and us donors as well as the children and families you work with there in Haiti. Congratulations on 25 years in the priesthood and on having the grace and the courage to answer the call to serve God and his poor. God bless you.

    Barb in Las Cruces

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Fr. Marc, Congratulations on your 25th anniversary! You are a beautiful example to all of us, of what amazing things one person can accomplish with God's help. All the best, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Fr. Marc
    God's love shines through to all of us because of your work in Haiti. You inspire us to do all that we can in our daily lives.
    God Bless you and best wishes for the next 25 years.
    Rita Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fr. Marc,
    25 years of service... I don't know if congratulations is the right word- perhaps thank you. I look forward to reflecting and celebrating with you when I am able to visit again!
    Much love,
    Jess Conzo

    ReplyDelete