Friday, March 20, 2009

More little people



These clay figures represent the folks one sees daily here. The one on the left of the group is pulling a cart of plantains, charcoal and potatoes to the market; the one on the top is pushing a wheelbarrow full of cut sugarcane that people eat like candy here; the gentleman on the right shines shoes for a living and the guy on the bottom is often seen with tons of children around him. He has a block of ice in his cart from which he takes shavings, puts them into a small plastic cup and drenches it with various fruity syrups (the original sno-cone). These figurines are all small and handmade. The artisan will be working on a manger set which I'll post.

4 comments:

  1. I just LOVE these little figures! Once production is up and running, this would be perfect to sell to guests . . . and you could sell a "Christmas Village" to go along with those nativity figures. How about this . . . you could sell a "North American Christmas Village" and a "Haitian Christmas Village".

    Of course you'd have to have figures that are only available for that year, so that people would have to come back every year to keep building their village . . . kinda like Hallmark, Haitian style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want the Fresco man! Those are my favorite!!! Save him for me!!!

    P.S. I'm serious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Konnyskorner is still alive and well, I just can't get to Haiti to bring back the crafts as easily as I did before. I would be happy to do the mailing if someone in Southern California area would bring them back from Haiti

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to buy a nativity set when done. Perhaps my sister Dr. Cynthia could bring it back from one of her trips.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete